suggestion: optional clauses for open source licenses

Bernhard Fastenrath bfastenrath at mac.com
Sat Nov 13 03:24:57 UTC 2004

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Bernhard Fastenrath dixit:
>
>>terms. The license name could be written as GPL+PIP which would
>>mean "GNU Public License with additional Public Intellectual Property clause"
>
> The GPL forbids that.
>
> No additional restrictions.

The GPL cannot forbid this. If I am the author of a programm
and call my license GPL+PIP then GPL+PIP is the license and
the GPL+PIP cannot be extended by further restrictions because
the GPL+PIP will contain the clause you mentioned, provided that
this clause is actually part of the GPL, which I didn't verify.

The GPL+PIP would, of course, be GPL compatible but every GPL
program using GPL+PIP licensed code would be infected with PIP,
which is a very healthy strain of community virus, so I can't
recognize any reason to apply antibiotics.

> Or are you going to do a Schily? (Jörg Schilling.)

What does that mean?
Do you mean this Jörg Schilling: http://freshmeat.net/~schily/ ?

--
www.citizens-initiative.org <http://www.citizens-initiative.org/>