License Committee Report

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Nov 8 19:35:28 UTC 2004

I'm the chair of the license approval committee.  This is my report
for the current set of licenses under discussion.  If anybody
disagrees with my assessment of the committee's conclusions, say so
promptly.

--

Title: mindmason license (MML)
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8573:chcedgdidbncghbgaaol

Title: Allegro giftware license
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8647:200409:ncnfkeknbbmhcknnelja
Withdrawn: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8718:ncnfkeknbbmhcknnelja
Recommend: no action needed.

Title: Academic Citing License
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8728:200409:mmpfkiadnfpihdobmdkc
License: in the submission.
Comments:  Stephen C. North, among others, agrees with me that the
  requirement to cite the software is a restriction on use rather than
  distribution.  Since we very much want to keep that camel's nose out
  of the tent, we should reject this license, well-intentioned though
  it is.
Recommend: rejection.

Title: Educational Community License
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8241:200406:bhdlpklblgkoobnmifcc
License: http://wheeler.kelley.indiana.edu/ecl1.htm
Comments: Ernie and Rod both agreed it was compliant.  I think that
  it's just not that unique a license, however it's clear that they
  have thought carefully about the terms although perhaps not so
  carefully about license proliferation.
Recommend: approval.

Title: TURKIX PUBLIC LICENSE
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8862:200410:ldicfnokcepogiogbmch
Withdrawn: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8870:200410:ldicfnokcepogiogbmch

Title: OZPLB Licence
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8849:200410:jneejnfcgpacdjcfbokf
License: http://nicta.com.au/ozplb_licence.cfm
Comments: no comments.
Recommend: table.

Title: MirOS Licence Template & OpenBSD License Template
Submission: http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8907:200411:ifijhbodihcacgebbjkb
License:
Comments: Sigh.  Both these licenses are obviously open source, they
  are trivial changes from the BSD license, and yet the authors
  insist on using them rather than the BSD license.
Recommend: approval, reluctantly.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Violence never solves
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | problems, it just changes