Definition of open source

Steven Noels stevenn at outerthought.org
Mon Nov 8 07:32:19 UTC 2004

On 08 Nov 2004, at 00:06, Alan Rihm wrote:

> Release a project under GPL, Mozilla, whatever. The same code base (not
> forked) is what we plan to go to market with through a reseller
> channel.
> We call the reseller and say "would you like to sell our product in a
> hosted environment?". They say, sure, I'll just download the free
> version and do so. They have no responsibility to pay us unless they
> don't have the technical ability to work with the open project. It does
> not suffice to just say that they "will pay you". We have evidence that
> this is not going to happen without a license that requires it.

My business experience with 2 not-so-little open source projects we
created & released ourselves: if your "open source business strategy"
depends on conditional license conditions (or dual-licensing, but
that's not the topic of this thread), you have to reconsider whether
open source _is_ going to eventually help your business at all. People
_will_ do business with you because of added-value you can provide to
them, but _not_ because the license _demands_ them to do business with
you: they'll rather go elsewhere. I am tempted to think that your
issues with the original OSI definition originate from an incertitude
with regards to the possible value-add you can provide.

While I can't agree with the tone of speech being used in this
discussion, I agree with the fact that you are trying to overload Open
Source with semantics which are simply hostile to the very basic ideas
behind the definition, and that your initiative should be discussed
elsewhere, if at all.

Tongue-in-cheek: please consider the decency of not trying to
circumvent conditions in a license which has been fostering projects
your company depends on:

stevenn [~] $ curl --head http://www.centraview.com/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK