Definition of open source

Alan Rihm alan at centraview.com
Sun Nov 7 18:09:34 UTC 2004

Michael - We had a reputable firm in Philadelphia (PA) give us an
opinion, and the resulting opinion was that current OSI approved
licenses (single or dual strategy) do not serve our purposes "as-is". We
did, however, base our license on the Mozilla 1.1 license since we are
ok with many of the provisions. The changes were limited to do the
following:

 - Make certain that redistribution was free
(except that you may charge fees for the media on  which you distribute
the Contributor Version or your Modifications and for related shipping
costs)

 - Require companies who wish to make a profit by offering our software
as a service to partner with us. (Initial and Contributor Grant - You
may not operate the Covered Code in or as part of a
commercially-available hosted service, nor may You charge others for
access to or use of the Covered Code (whether in Source Code or
Executable form) over a network)

The remainder of the license is virtually the same.

They noted that other clients were also unable to utilize existing
licenses to serve their needs without certain modifications that
currently conflict with the OSI definition.

Best,
Alan