Why "open-source" means "free to distribute"?

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Fri May 7 21:04:15 UTC 2004

I think Larry will have to answer your question authoritatively. In my
opinion, the distinctions assumed by your question are impertinent. OSI
has the legal authority to control the use of its certification trade mark
within the parameters it sets forth. If they say under condition X, vendor
Y is not authorized to use the mark, vendor Y must follow that
determination or risk infringing the mark. At this point, your question is
really more straightforward than the one you posed, I think. You want to
know: whether developer/vendor/whomever is authorized to use the mark.

Rod