For Approval: Open Project Public License (OPPL)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Mar 17 04:49:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Larry Masters wrote:

> Whole or partial distribution of the Software, *"items that link
> with the Software, items that link with a component of the Software,
> or"* items that interact with any portion of the Software to form an
> extended version of the Software signifies acceptance of this
> license.
>
> It may also be possible to leave out the quoted text above, or add
> the text "to form an extended version of the Software" after those 2
> items???

How do you define an "extended version of the Software"? Is it
different than "a derivative work based on the Software"?

For example, does a PHP compiler that produces bytecode from your
scripts interact to form an extended version of your software? Does a
webserver that produces HTML from your scripts interact to form an
extended version of your software? It looks like the answer could be
yes in both cases.

Also, how does one define a minimal component that is still protected
by the license? Your license says "any portion". I suspect that small
pieces of your Software will be repeated by other authors without any
intentional relation to your Software. Is mentioning of "any portion"
significant?

Thanks,

Alex.