For Approval: Open Project Public License (OPPL)

Larry Masters lmasters at nextco.net
Wed Mar 17 01:41:29 UTC 2004

John,

I do not agree that the GPL would work for this.
I have seen problems in other projects where someone creates an program
to work with another program but the source code is not released because
it is argued that the "new program" is not derived from the other, which
with my understanding of the GPL and US copyright law this could be true
that the "new program" is not derived.

Program X does this.
Program Y does something else, but will work with Program X.

The GPL also states that the license covers works as a whole. We want to
make sure that even a plugin when distributed by itself must follow the
license of the original program, and make source code available. The QPL
is somthing like what we want, but it did not allow releasing modified
version of the original program as a whole, you can only release patches.

Larry E. Masters