Help with license decision for "cluster" of similar projects

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Mar 8 18:59:13 UTC 2004

This is my last response. IMO, this is not the right place to discuss
moral issues related to Copyleft/BSD licensing.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Russell McOrmond wrote:
> > > When people make non-free derivatives they are "taking from me
> > > without paying" in the same way as "software pirates" are
> > > claimed to of non-free software.
> >
> > Exactly. And in the same way you did not pay Newton or Dekart for
> > what you are "taking from them without paying".
>
> Why are you trying to confuse works for which their copyright has
> expired and are in the public domain, and works under copyright

I was under impression you are trying to build a moral justification
for Copyleft when talking about "taking without paying". Moral
frameworks do not care about copyright status. Whether something is
moral or "good" does not depend on law. If you are just talking about
law, then making non-free derivatives is either allowed or not,
depending on the license. There is nothing to discuss here.

> I realize you and I don't agree about the sustainability of the
> "software manufacturing" methodologies and business models, but lets
> not get too biased to entirely exclude the viewpoints of others ;-)

I made no statements about sustainability of any manufacturing
methodologies or business models. I was building a simple framework to
explain basic differences between Copyleft and BSD-like licensing. The
purpose of that framework is not to include all conflicting viewpoints
about licensing effects but to highlight the cornerstone principles of
the two licensing models: maximizing access to a given piece of code
versus maximizing development opportunities related to that piece of
code.

> When you take my copyleft Free Software and make a non-free
> derivative it is the same (legally, morally, etc) as if I took your
> non-free software without your permission, sold many copies of it
> for a profit, and never paid you a cent in royalties.

Agreed. The question is different though: Is it a morally good idea to
force humankind into happiness? Should todays Newtons and Dekarts use
Copyleft or should they use BSD-like licensing? The answer to this
question is way beyond the scope of this mailing list and the two
statements under consideration.

> I may not agree with your choice to use monopoly rent seeking
> "manufacturing era"  business models

Not sure where you saw any choice or this particular choice in the two
basic statements being polished on this list.

Alex.