Help with license decision for "cluster" of similar projects

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Mar 3 22:21:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 jcowan at reutershealth.com wrote:

> Alex Rousskov scripsit:
>
> >   - Copyleft licenses maximize the freedom of the code
> >   - BSD-like licenses maximize the freedom of the user
>
> I think this works better if you say "developer", not "user".

Yes, and somebody suggested that improvement off-list as well. I have
also received comments that "freedom of the code" is a misnomer. While
using such a misnomer was semi-intentional, there is probably a better
way to word the same idea (protection of free access to code, even
though that protected free access might not be in the best interest of
the developer).

So, how about:

 - Copyleft licenses maximize the freedom to access  the code
 - BSD-like licenses maximize the freedom to develop the code

Still not perfect. For example, "freedom to access" may imply "freedom
to use" and "freedom to use" may imply "freedom to distribute" to
some. Is there a word describing "look but do not touch"?

Alex.