the X-Oz license

selussos mgr at x-oz.com
Tue Mar 2 23:50:00 UTC 2004

Hi
I would like to submit the X-Oz license for OSI compliancy.  I've written the following up per your
request on the site.

First, the license in question, which we have termed the X-Oz license can be found in full at: http://www.x-oz.com/licenses.html.

The first part of the license (the permission notice) is taken from the XFree86 1.0 license.

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
    copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
    to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
    the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
    and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
    Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The first three condition clauses are taken from the Apache 1.1 license, where we substituted our name for the ASF.

    1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer

    2.    Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution

    3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must include the following acknowledgment:

            "This product includes software developed by X-Oz Technologies (http://www.x-oz.com/)."

            Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself, if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

The fourth condition is from the XFree86 1.0 license, again with the appropriate nominal-only substitutions.

  4. Except as contained in this notice, the name of X-Oz Technologies
     shall not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale,
     use or other dealings in this Software without prior written
     authorization from X-Oz Technologies.

And finally our disclaimer notice is also from the Apache 1.1 license.

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
  WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
  MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
  IN NO EVENT SHALL X-OZ TECHNOLOGIES OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
  ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
  DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
  GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
  INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER
  IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
  OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
  IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE

Best Regards.

Sue

P.S. The Apache 1.1 is also on the OSI site as OSI-compliant, http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apachepl.php

PPS I am subscribed to this list ;-)

Every morning I wake up saying, "I'm still alive — a miracle." And so I keep on pushing. — Jacques Cousteau