Question regarding modules/pluggins license?

Chris F Clark cfc at TheWorld.com
Mon Mar 1 16:36:22 UTC 2004

Ian wrote:
> In other words, even if we assume that such a suit could succeed, the
> only people who have the standing to file it have stated publically
> that they will not do so.

I would be similarly curious if a suit against Linus Torvalds (sp?)
could succeed.  Parts of Linux are clearly GPL and I suspect some is
contributed by authors who wish the GPL to be applied "virally" making
Linux in its entirety GPL, by necessity.  Thus, in theory, one of
those authors would seem to have rights to sue someone (either an end
user or Linus) for linking against Linux and distributing the
result--thus transitively against such an authors code and violating
that authors copyright.  Linus is certainly "guilty" of contributing
to such an infringement.

However, Ian's basic point is worth emphasizing.

	 The GPL is only as constraining as the software's authors
	 desire to enforce it.

The only question the small point above brought up is in a collective
work, is it not likely that some of the authors' desires are getting
trampled on?

-Chris