testing kit conformance as a condition of distribution

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Jun 30 06:14:19 UTC 2004

Brian,

I am surprised that Sun is still making this an issue. I thought several of
us had already told them that their proposed Notice is flat-out incompatible
with open source:

   NOTICE FROM SUN MICROSYSTEMS:
   Any redistributed derivative work of the software licensed hereunder
   must be compatible and branded with the appropriate compatibility logo
   specified by Sun and licensed by Sun persuant [sic] to a separate
   Trademark License required to be executed by you with Sun.

Under open source principles, neither Sun nor Apache nor anyone else can
impose requirements on the character or content of derivative works of open
source software. Sun seeks here to impose such requirements in the name of
compatibility and branding. That won't fly. I'm confident no such provision
would be found acceptable in an open source license.

ASF and its customers must remain free to create compliant or non-compliant
derivative works as they, in their sole judgment, decide to do. The only
thing that Sun should retain is the right to prevent non-compliant versions
from using Sun's certification marks, and this they can do under basic
trademark law even without that unacceptable provision. That provision isn't
really necessary for Sun, but it sure hurts the freedom to create derivative
works.

The alternative wording that ASF proposed on your Geronimo download page
would work:

   Any claims of compliance to Java(tm) Technology Specification(s)
   apply only to the original, unmodified Work. Derivative Works do
   not inherit compliance and may be subject to third-party restrictions
   on claims of compliance and use of related trademarks.

This is a true statement under trademark law and so saying it isn't really
necessary. A simpler way to resolve the open source incompatibility would be
simply to remove the offensive provision entirely from the J2EE license. As
I recall, nothing in the J2EE license otherwise grants rights to apply Sun's
marks on non-compliant software. Sun can still protect its certification
marks and trademarks without that provision and Sun loses nothing by
deleting it. But if Sun's lawyers insist on making this point about
trademark law explicit, perhaps they can devise appropriate wording for an
"Exclusions from License" provision that doesn't restrict the freedom to
create derivative works.

By the way, I like certification marks, including Sun's. I think they help
customers to select software that meets important standards. I just don't
like it when companies try to force free software to bear certification
marks its authors may not want or need.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)