testing kit conformance as a condition of distribution

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Tue Jun 29 06:08:32 UTC 2004

I know this list is supposed to be about reviewing proposed licenses
rather than speculation, but hopefully you'll at least find this question
more on-topic than most.

With respect to the language at the top of:

http://geronimo.apache.org/download.html

and for context:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=announce@apache.org&msgNo=52

The NOTICE Sun is asking us to post seems, to me, to effectively
constitute an additional term of copyright.  Such a term would not seem to
be OSD compliant.  Empirically I can argue this easily, as no open source
license has been approved with such a conformance requirement on
derivative works (AFAIK).  The Sun Internet Standards Source License comes
close, but it also allows the release of non-conformant works so long as
the full source code to non-conformant works is available.  What I need
are solid sound-bite-y easy-to-explain but non-dogmatic arguments as to
why such a conformance requirement is not compatible with the way Open
Source works (putting aside compatibility with any particular licenses).

Thanks in advance,

 	Brian