Effect of the MySQL FLOSS License Exception?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jun 17 22:48:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Zak Greant wrote:

> The idea of being able to draw a clear line between derivative and
> collective works based on "treating the Program as a black box with
> hooks for connectivity" makes me very uncomfortable.

Why does it make you very uncomfortable?

> It is generally a relatively trivial task to create a GPL-licensed
> wrapper that allows GPL-licensed code to be used as a black box
> component.

True. Quite often, no wrapper would be needed at all!

> In effect, architecture can trump the copyright holders rights, even
> when is clearly not what they desire.

There is an implicit loop in this logic, IMHO: If you believe in the
"black box" principle, then you are not violating/trumping any
copyright holder rights by applying that principle (those rights
simply end in the black box). If you do not believe in the "black box"
principle, then you would not be using the wrapper trick because it
would not work (the rights leak from the box and infect your wrapper
and then your program).

"You" above should be read in a broad sense, of course (you, your
team, your customers, your country lawyers, Your Honor, whatever is
applicable).

Alex.