Dual licensing

nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com nospam+pixelglow.com at pixelglow.com
Mon Jun 14 01:03:41 UTC 2004

I must admit I'm somewhat sympathetic to Marius' aims, if not convinced about
the actual details.

Ideally, I would like to craft a dual license that says, in legalese, "if you
don't pay, reciprocate; if you pay, you don't have to reciprocate". QED.

However like Marius I find the GPL and other open source licenses inadequate to
express this, since most if not all allow certain situations to avoid
reciprocation e.g. internal use, web services. I should think GPL and friends
were never designed to be the "bad cop" part of a "good cop, bad cop"
dual-licensing scheme to get priopetary users to pay.

Practically, the GPL does cover most of what I want and ultimately not being
Microsoft or an army-of-lawyers-employing company, there's not much I can do to
enforce it except the moral authority of being the copyright owner. So it looks
like it shall be GPL + some simple BSD-like priopetary license.

Cheers,
Glen Low, Pixelglow Software
www.pixelglow.com