Dual licensing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jun 13 19:39:09 UTC 2004

Quoting dlw (danw6144 at insightbb.com):

> Any attempt to regulate copyright rewards outside of contractual
> privity is preempted by sec. 301 of the Copyright Act regardless of
> the philosophical underpinnings of "free as in 'freedom' software".

Oh, give it up, already.

As I'm sure you are well aware, 17 USC 301 existed to terminate common
law copyright and prior state statutes.  It in no way precludes
copyright owners from granting _under_ the Federal statute rights that
the statute would otherwise have reserved to them by default.

Look, Wallace, it's nice that you got contract law firmly lodged into
your head, but, I'm sorry, these bogus legalisms you keep dreaming up
against the concept of copyright licensing are wearying.