the provide, license verbs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 10 16:00:50 UTC 2004

Quoting Chris F Clark (cfc at TheWorld.com):

> The "problem" is that corporations like to define their coproprate
> self, including all those that they hire or sub-contract from as a
> single entity, just like the "end user you" (which may by the same
> extension be a family all sharing one computer).

As someone else said, the only opinion that matter, in such cases, are
His Honour's.

> I think that someone will also sue over making a private derivative
> version too.  However, I don't know if such a suit is possible under
> an open source license as I believe all current open source licenses
> reserve the right to make derivatives to the recipient, and I believe
> further that to be OSI-compatible they must do so.

Correct.  (I think you mean "convey", not "reserve".)

> I have often contemplated writing an open source license that requires
> derivatives to be made "publicly" available (either by publishing or
> by sending back to the author who can then publish).

An earlier version of the Apple Public Source License (currently at 2.0)
contained such a provision.  It was judged OSD-compliant (because, well,
it _was_ OSD-compliant), occasioning some mildly unpleasant spats between
commentators who found the provision reasonable and others (e.g., Stallman)
who considered it to infringe privacy rights nobody had previously
considered in that context.

> However, working with a lawyer to get such a license drafted is an
> expensive proposition and would only result in
> yet-one-more-incompatible open source license, which is not a good
> thing in my eyes.

Thank you.  Too few people worry about gratuitous licence
incompatibility and other related problems.

Relevant to that, here's a off-list e-mail I sent to someone whose
company is currently involved in OSI licence certification (but will go
nameless).  About my sketch of stepwise corporate follies, he says
"Bingo".

Would OSI consider trying to do something about its Web site's tendency
to promote creation of basically pointless new open-source licences?
I'd be glad to help.