Dual licensing -- other wrinkles

No Spam nospam at pixelglow.com
Wed Jun 9 04:19:07 UTC 2004

John Cowan, et. al.:

I want to let people pay to opt out from reciprocity. However having paid to do so, and they receive the software under a permissive license, they can then re-release the software under any sort of license including a permissive license. Then a third party could use the permissive source in a proprietory product without paying me.

I don't have the resources or legal training to produce my own commercial license. All I'm hoping for is either a straightforward commercial license template, or I can reuse BSD and tack on a phrase like: "You may only sublicense the code under the GPL."

Alternatively, I could just rely on the header preamble, assuming (?) that a user is not allowed to remove it. Then any third party coming across the code has to apply the test of whether he paid for it to the code, and so on -- if he didn't pay, it's licensed under GPL; if he did, then he can choose between GPL and BSD (for example).

Cheers,
Glen Low, Pixelglow Software
www.pixelglow.com