GPL, "derivative works" and C++ templates

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jun 8 15:40:30 UTC 2004

I can only give you a partial non-legal answer/opinion: C++ template
definitions are equivalent to libraries as far as derivative work is
concerned. Using such template definitions is the same as using a
software library. In other words, there is nothing special about C++
template definitions compared to any software library.

Please note that C++ template declarations alone (not definitions) can
be considered outside of copyright law because they constitute an
interface. For example, STL interface cannot be copyrighted, but its
implementation (STL library guts) can be. In most cases, C++ template
declarations are located in the same compilation unit as template
definitions, but that does not affect their copyright-ability.

As for the second part of your question, I do not know whether
Lawrence Rosen, Eben, or any given Your Honor is correct at any given
time. Nor my opinion would matter much in this world (see John Cowan's
excellent response).

Fortunately, GCC STL library license is not
viral/reciprocal/force-the-world-into-happiness/whatever. Same for
most (all?) Boost libraries.

HTH,

Alex.