Dual licensing

Marius Amado Alves amado.alves at netcabo.pt
Tue Jun 8 06:49:49 UTC 2004

Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

> Requiring a fee for use is certainly a restriction. It's open source if
> you charge someone a fee, but they can pass it on without anyone having
> to pay anyone anything - but if such second-hand recipients have to pay
> the original licensor money, it's not Open Source - by the letter and
> spirit of the definition.

I see. But the SDC philosophy is sort of the other way around. Nobody
charges upstream in the distribution. Only when revenues are generated
downstream, the shares go back up to every author. And also only then
are the shares negotiated. In my perception this model is not against
the spirit of open source--and probably not even against the letter.