Dual licensing

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rdixon at cyberspaces.org
Mon Jun 7 14:19:03 UTC 2004

Though you protest that you are not against open source, I think your words
betray that protestation; certainly, arguing that those who support or
develop open source software "never sell open source directly, there is
always some 'trick'" - - is not exactly a praiseworthy outlook.  In that
regard, I am doubtful that you are raising an earnest argument. Even so,
your point overlooks a critical detail: there is no restriction against
selling software. That the open source model renders it less likely that a
vendor will succeed in selling open source software is not the same as a
restriction against doing so.  Of course, one aim of open source
development, it seems to me, is that those who desire to make commercial use
of the work of others add value before doing so. I do not understand how
someone may properly characterize this as a "trick" or imply that success
with open source is based on a delusion.

- Rod