Which license to use for MFC based software?

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 2 19:07:52 UTC 2004

Carsten Kuckuk said on Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:46:20PM +0200,:

 > done by  a German  on German soil,  so German copyright  laws apply
 > which are different  from US laws. And the  translator was probably
 > paid by Microsoft Germany GmbH in Munich, not the Seattle one.

Enter corporate  strategy. Corporates arrange their  affairs such that
the principal owns all `intellectual property'.  Therefore, the German
subsidiary is most  probably doing only marketing work;  and rights in
works  developed  by the  subsidiary,  if any,  will  vest  in the  US
parent.  That is a  matter of  contractual corporate  arrangement; not
law. So, rights would still vest in the US parent.

 > e-mail address @yahoo.co.in I'd guess that you're located in India.

Yes.

 > India even a member of WIPO, and does it honor copyrights?

Definitely yes. From time immemorial.

 > we'll have a  pretty interesting legal situation here  with US law,
 > German  law, Indian  law,  and  probably some  other  laws as  well
 > applying...

<More Grin> Only that this kind of problem is a bit off topic for this
list; but relevant for most members.

And do go through Rick's post in this thread.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com

Backup: The duplicate copy of crucial data that no one bothered
        to make; used only in the abstract.