Which license to use for MFC based software?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 1 18:02:01 UTC 2004

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

[...]

> The GPL allows you to grant permission to do new things, but won't
> allow you to put new restrictions on users.  See GPL section 6.

Nick, I believe Carsten is referring to a section in recent Microsoft
SDKs' EULAs banning their use in developing (or distribution in
conjunction with) "Potentially Viral Software" [sic].  A sub-clause of
that section more-or-less defines the term "Publicly Available
Software", approximating the concept of copyleft, and requires that
"Recipient shall not distribute the Software, in whole or in part, in
conjunction with any Publicly Available Software."

Just in case Microsoft Corp.'s target is still unclear, that sub-clause
goes on:

   Publicly Available Software includes, without limitation, software
   licensed or distributed under any of the following licenses or
   distribution models, or licenses or distribution models similar to
   any of the following: (A) GNU's General Public License (GPL) or
   Lesser/Library GPL (LGPL), (B) The Artistic License (e.g., PERL), (C)
   the Mozilla Public License, (D) the Netscape Public License, (E) the
   Sun Community Source License (SCSL), and (F) the Sun Industry
   Standards License (SISL)."

--
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base -print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com