The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Ken Brown kenbrown at erols.com
Wed Jan 28 21:26:34 UTC 2004

Well, if everything else is a derivative...then how can anyone claim to
be the original owner?  I mean how many original owners can you have?
There can only be one, whether the license says you can transfer it to
10,000 people...right?

So help me understand your earlier point.  To charge that someone has
violated a copyright, doesn't the original owner have to make the
charge? Otherwise, we don't know where the true property rights
----started right?

kb