The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jan 28 20:31:18 UTC 2004

Ryan Ismert scripsit:

> It seems to me that what Russell is suggesting (or what one could suggest,
> even if Russell is not) is that the condition being imposed is not in fact a
> condition on an exclusive right -- the distribution of a derivative work--,
> as Daniel holds, but rather a condition on the permission to create
> derivative works in the first place.

I agree with this characterization completely, and assert that there is no
such exclusive right to distribute derivative works (or rather that there
is such a right, but it's the maker of the derivative work who has it).

--
Business before pleasure, if not too bloomering long before.
        --Nicholas van Rijn