The Copyright Act supports the GPL

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jan 28 20:06:07 UTC 2004

Russell McOrmond scripsit:

>   If I take a Hollywood movie, create a laugh track where I think
> something funny happened, it is not my right to distribute the new
> combined work.

Nobody disputes that.  But Daniel is claiming that if you *do* in fact have
permission to create the movie + laugh track, that you *also* then need
further permission to distribute it.  I deny this.  Once you have lawfully
prepared your derivative work, you may distribute it on your own terms;
what the GPL does is prevent your work from being licensed if you distribute
it other than under the GPL, making the creation of the derivative work not lawful.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarves."