For Approval: Fair License

James William Pye flaw at rhid.com
Mon Jan 26 00:37:45 UTC 2004

Greetings,

This license appears to be well within OSD, but before(if) it is accepted, I would like feedback on some of my concerns with this license, but I will prepare the requested sections before expressing those concerns:

. Tell us which existing OSI-approved license is most similar
. to your license. Explain why that license will not suffice
. for your needs. If your proposed license is derived from a
. license we have already approved, describe exactly what
. you have changed. This document is not part of the
. license; it is solely to help the license-discuss
. understand and review your license.

The license is similar to the BSD license.
The BSD license seems to imply a requirement of, what I call, Due Credit. Although, I wanted an explicit specification of Due Credit within my license. I also thought it more appropriate to use terms such as 'works' instead of 'source' to not be specific as to what was covered by the license within the license(Would this matter in a trial?).
The Fair License is mainly a generalized BSD license(terminology-wise) with an explicit requirement of Due Credit by the retention and notification of the instrument.

. Explain how software distributed under your license can be
. used in conjunction with software distributed under other
. open source licenses.

Simply by retaining the license with the works that are covered by the license.

. Which license do you think will take
. precedence for derivative or combined works?

I assume this is heavily dependent on the other license and perhaps even the works in question, but I am sure most other licenses would take precedence considering Fair's easy nature.

. Is there any software license that is entirely
. incompatible with your proposed license?

Not that I know of.

---------------

Concerns and Questions:

The FL itself does not specifically mention the copyright notice, but I felt it implied the retention of the notice by specifying the retention of the 'instrument', which I thought *may* be enough of an implication to require the inclusion of the notice if it were included with the definitions, license, and disclaimer within the same file/document. Is this '*may*' definite, or is it questionable?

Similarly, should I specify the consistency of 'This Instrument'? I refer to it multiple times assuming that it is understood to consist of the definitions, license, and disclaimer(and, potentially, the copyright notice). Can I rely on that assumption?

Also, should I include the creator(contributor, I suppose in the BSD license) with the owner in the disclaimer? I believe there is a legal distinction, no?

(A couple of side questions :)

Do disclaimers carry much weight in a trial against the copyright owner? I assume the purpose is to establish some prima facie evidence(right term for this context?), but I don't know. :)

Paranoia: Is this a good thing? A lot of agreements/licenses(Not specifically any Open Source licenses) seem extraordinarily paranoid about everything down to, seemingly frivolous, definitions of various words. Is this normally an attempt to obfuscate the instrument?

As you can probably tell, I'm not a lawyer; :)
but when I get in the right frame of mind, I find law(even copyright law!) very interesting. Any pointers, resources, or criticisms(constructive :P) are very welcome.

Regards,
			James William Pye