License Committee report

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Sun Feb 22 04:03:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:20:49PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:

> There is much discussion spent deciding whether NASA can copyright
> software at all.  The license itself says that no copyright is claimed
> in the United States.
>
> The only serious concern that I can see is that the license requires
> the recipient to indemnify the Government of the United States against
> third party lawsuits.

I disagree.  I raised two potentially problems that I saw with the
license where it had vageness issues that could cause it to not meet the
OSD.  See:
http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:7720:200402:jfdgbalgdhgblndpmljm

I think the mere aggregation problem I raised is probably the clearest
of the issues.

I don't think either of these issues are by intent.  I think they're on
accident and some minor modifications could fix them.

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken