apache license 2.0 for consideration

Mark Shewmaker mark at primefactor.com
Wed Feb 18 23:22:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 20:20, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> No, the patent (if there was one) would be an additional restriction
> on the GPL.  The Apache License itself is not the patent and does not
> restrict the GPL any more than the GPL would have been restricted by
> the patent absent the Apache License.

Let me make a more limited, but far more convoluted, claim:

"Code incorporating patents (when the code and contributors' patents are
licensed solely under the Apache License Version 2.0) cannot be
(safely?) incorporated into a derivative work distributed under GPLv2,
because any recipient who receives a copy of such a derivative work is
required to refrain from alleging infringement of any of his own patents
incorporated into the original Apache-License-only code.  (That
requirement is more strict than the GPL's requirement to license the
patent for GPL use.)"

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark at primefactor.com