International treatment of the public domain

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Tue Feb 17 20:39:24 UTC 2004

I do not have an answer to the specific question, but I suspect the answer
may reside in a treaty or an international agreement that is not a treaty.
The Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), for instance, allows works in the
public domain in the U.S. to be scooped out of the public domain
retroactively if those works whose source country is a member of the WTO
or the Berne convention meets a set of criteria that the U.S. has agreed
to. I doubt that this is a unilateral privilege so we may assume the
public domain shrank in 1994 and thereafter. Still, I am unsure how this
would affect an open source license since the license MAY be enforceable
in the U.S. or, possibly, an international dispute resolution forum
administered by WTO/WIPO

-Rod
rod at cyberspaces.org
opensource.cyberspaces.org