Inappropriate postings from non-lawyers

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Feb 13 16:35:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Richard Schilling wrote:

> I post my response because so many times on this list people try to
> play "armchair lawyer" and pick apart a license.  It's not
> appropriate

Richard,

	Could you please point me to this list charter or guidelines?
You seem to imply that only lawyers can discuss posted licenses on
this list. If what you seem to imply is true, I personally would stop
discussing others' licenses immediately! I am not a lawyer. I
contribute from a license _user_ point of view. I hope that OSI wants
to accommodate open source users at least as much as open source
lawyers and, hence, would benefit from users point of view being
represented.

	If there is no list charter or guidelines, or if they do not
share your point of view, then please adjust your appropriateness
criteria accordingly. You are, of course, welcome to create a
moderated lawyers-only list and convince OSI to use that instead of or
in addition to this list.

> Lawyers most likely write NASA licenses and that's something to
> respect.

Whether something is worth respect is not determined by whether it was
made by a lawyer, IMHO. YMMV.

Alex.