Initial Developer's Public License

Alexander Terekhov TEREKHOV at de.ibm.com
Fri Feb 13 13:15:47 UTC 2004

"Ann W. Harrison" wrote:
[...]
> In this example, the commercial tool would probably be a
> single executable and not a set of libraries or plug-ins.
> To my understanding, that's similar to a User's Guide to
> Version 9 based on, extending and correcting the Guide
> for Version 8.

To my uneducated understanding, that's similar to

To me, this book is a "mere aggregation" of papers/works
with some "glue" (start up code, etc ;-) ). Aggregation
doesn't make this whole book [just like the executable]
a derivative work of its "components". I tend to think
that executables are like Java JARs (JARs are simple
archives of java classes files and any other "data"
stuff). I just can't see how a copyright in one Java
class can affect other classes (even if something is
inherited/composed/linked with the other(s)).

regards,
alexander.

P.S. You might want to take a look at the CPL FAQ (Q15
and Q19). Eclipe.org legal FAQ is also worth reading.