For Approval: Simple Permissive License

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Tue Feb 10 18:38:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:35:24PM -0500, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>     Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>
>
>     Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
>     copy of this software to deal in this software without restriction
>     (including the rights to use, modify, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
>     copies) provided that the above copyright notice and this permission
>     notice is included in all copies or substantial portions of this
>     software.
>
>     THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
>     OR IMPLIED.

I agree with the people telling you that an identical license isn't
really that useful.  However, one long standing complaint about the MIT
license is that it uses the vague "deal in this software without
restriction" to say what you can do.  I think everyone agrees that this
license permits distributing modified copies....  But it might be nice
if it was explicit about that.

That would be something you could do that would set your license apart
without really changing any terms.

--
Ben Reser <ben at reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken