The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Peterson, Scott K (HP Legal) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Mon Feb 9 18:47:38 UTC 2004

Your hypothetical is directly on point:
"Bob goes to court and proves that by a transfer of copyright ownership,
he is the copyright owner of _CfI_ and therefore has the right under
Section 106 (a) to reproduce the copyrighted work.  Surely this right is
affirmative?"

That is precisely the right that I am pointing out that I have NOT seen
exercised and for which I am aware of no basis in US law. I do not
believe that a showing by Bob that he is the copyright owner would help
him at all.

For example, Alice may have a copyright in a different book, and Alice
may be asserting that the book that Bob's been distributing infringes
her rights in her book. Bob's acquisition of copyright ownership in the
book that he's distributing does not help him in Alice's case against
him. In other words, Bob's right to make copies of the copyrighted work
that he owns does not do him any good in trying overcome this impediment
to his copying.

If what you mean by "transfer" is that Bob shows that the copyright
ownership that Alice had asserted had really been transferred to Bob,
then, of course Bob is off the hook (court will no longer support
Alice's attempt to impede Bob's copying). But that result is because of
Alice's LOSS of the relevant copyright, not because of Bob's gain. The
same result would obtain even if Bob showed that Alice had transferred
the asserted copyright to someone else (not to Bob).

-- Scott