For Approval: Simple Permissive License

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Mon Feb 9 03:10:05 UTC 2004

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> The Simple Permissive License is most similar to The MIT License.  The MIT
> License does not suffice for my needs because it is too long and complex for the
> programmers that I work with to read.

Personally, I recommend that you tell your programmers to either learn
to read, or to trust you or the OSI.

I don't see how it serves the purposes of the OSI to approve a license
which is intended to be identical to an existing license merely
because programmers can't read.  This is a small benefit for your
programmers right now, and increased confusion for all people in the
future who tries to understand when and whether they should use your
new license.

For that matter, for people who want something like the MIT license, I
recommend the Academic Free License, which is rather more likely to be
legally sound.  However, for that very reason, it is much longer.

Ian