The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Tony Stanco Tony at egovos.org
Sat Feb 7 13:07:14 UTC 2004

Scott,

my understanding is the same as Larry's. Copyright provides exclusive
plenary rights to the owner. Patents provide the owner only with the right
to exclude others. I think the distinction was grounded in the fact that it
would be hard to conflict with someone else's copyright in an original work
(which usually stood alone), while complex, interrelated processes/machines
could easily involve multiple and conflicting patents. As a result, patents
are only negative rights and a person's exploitation of a particular patent
in subject to the non existence of conflicting patent(s).

Best regards,
Tony