The Copyright Act preempts the GPL

Peterson, Scott K (HP Legal) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Fri Feb 6 21:04:55 UTC 2004

John --

I'll reply to two points:
(A) an authors positive right to copy? no.
(B) derivative works: what rights does the author of the original work
have

(A)
You say: "each person has a duty not to hinder him [the author making a
copy of his own work]".
I am aware of no basis in US copyright law for such a duty. I am aware
of no basis in US copyright law for a positive right to make a copy. By
writing something down, you become a copyright owner. That ownership
right does not give you any special privilege or right to copy,
distribute, etc. that work. If others have rights that are infringed by
such acts, they are free to assert those rights to prevent you from
undertaking those acts. They have no "duty not to hinder" you.

How is this manifest in the law? The US copyright law gives remedies
against those who undertake one of the exclusive actions without the
copyright owner's permission (see 17 USC 501 and following). Let me know
if you will not find in that copyright law any remedy against someone
who hinders the author from making a copy of their own work.

(B)
Yes, the authorized creator of a derivative work will typically receive
permission to copy and distribute the derivative work in the terms of
the license that gives the permission to make the derivative. For the
author of the derivative, I don't immediately see whether it matter if
you think if that permission being a condition of creating the
derivative or a permission for copying and distribution of material from
the original author's work. It doesn't matter; the author of the
derivative needs the original author's permission one way or the other.
However, the difference can be clearly seen in those downstream. Those
downstream who make unauthorized copies of the derivative work infringe
both the rights of the original author as well as the rights of the
author of the derivative. In other words, the permission to create the
derivative is not the end of the rights of the original author. As long
as their copyrightable material is present, their permission is needed.
To illustrate: author of original work gives permission for a second
author to create a derivative work and to publish it as chapter 26 in a
particular novel; someone then makes an unauthorized copy of chapter 26;
that copy of chapter 26 infringes the rights of the original author as
well as the rights of the author of the derivative. The original authors
claim against the copier of chapter 26 is not based on that copier
having violated the original author's exclusive right to make derivative
works; it is based on violation of the original author's exclusive right
to make copies of their work (literal or otherwise).

The rights provided under US copyright law are negative rights (the
right to exclude others), not positive rights (the right to do something
yourself).

-- Scott