PCT (Patents, Copyright, Trademark) policy and Open Source

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Mon Feb 2 03:52:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Ken Brown wrote:

I love it.  They filed a patent for a process my company had a working
example of long before the date of filing, and unlike these guys, we
actually implemented it and ran it.  We don't run our site, SourceXchange,
any longer, but it's still infuriating to see IBM take credit for this.

If anyone had a need to debunk this patent, let me know.  Isn't there some
clearing house for prior art should it ever be needed?

Game theory lesson: file a patent on *anything* you're doing.  I'm
considering filing one on the particular way I walk down the hall after
waking up in the morning.

	Brian