FOR APPROVAL: OZPLB Licence

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Dec 28 22:42:15 UTC 2004

Russell Nelson scripsit:

>  > > "If there are flaws in existing software, then that seems like a
>  > > perfectly good reason to rewrite the software from scratch."
>  >
>  > As the above indeed is a perfectly good reason,
>
> No, it's not.  It's a reason to fix the existing software, as Larry
> Rosen pointed out earlier this month.

Sometimes it pays to fix things, sometimes it pays to scrap them and start
over.  Everyone knows this.  If a fried egg is underdone, leave it on the
griddle a bit longer.  If it's burned, scrap it and start with a new egg.
Only the minute particulars can determine whether replacement is better or
worse than repair.  (I for one am glad that Mozilla Firefox is not a
direct descendant of Netscape 4, and I had to pitch the existing Reuters Health
distribution software overboard and replace it with my own in order to meet
the new demands.)

This is as good a point as any to mention that I am leaving license-discuss
along with many other mailing lists, in attempt to trim back my online time,
which has grown to the point where it threatens my health.  Anyone may
contact me privately at cowan at ccil.org or (at least at present) at the
equivalent address jcowan at reutershealth.com.

--
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com
han mathon ne chae, a han noston ne 'wilith.  --Galadriel, LOTR:FOTR