/dev/random, quantum theory and religion

Bernhard Fastenrath bfastenrath at mac.com
Wed Dec 22 22:42:02 UTC 2004

Classical physics does not provide a source of randomness. The source of
randomness of this universe can be found in quantum theory.

Let's further assume that your source of randomness does not not deliver
well distributed randomness.

This can either hint on the existence of god (meaning an intelligence
outside the universe and in control of randomness outside the physical
possibilities of this universe) or it could be seen as a hint for the
simulation argument (http://www.simulation-argument.com/).

Considering the earlier I would ask why is god, who's considered a very
ethical being, manipulating our source of randomness, which might be
seen as an unethical act?

My earlier argument (also at cpwrglobal.net (*)) that god is a teacher
and is trying to teach ethics by repeating human behaviour but obviously
with humans always in the position of the weak, at least where human
beings have assumed a position of power. So god could be said to reflect
our behaviour back to us.

There is a historical precedent were humanity has changed the
probabiilities governing the lives of living creatures: It is called
animal breeding.

A dog is just a genetically unlikely wulf so humans changed the
genetical probabilities governing the lives of most wulfs alive today.

So if you perceive a depletion of randomness in the world around you at
least here's a reasonable explanation why this might be the case.

I claim the depletion can be observed. The individual observed incidents
are all insufficient to convince the sceptical reader but the amount of
observable incidents is large. Verification is left as an exercise to
the reader, at least for now.

(*)
http://cpwrglobal.net/message.cfm?messageid=252278&si=161517&sp=82073255&st=

--