For Approval: Updated Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

Claire Giordano claire.giordano at sun.com
Sat Dec 18 02:12:44 UTC 2004

Based on some valuable feedback from license-discuss (particular thanks to John
Cowan, Rod Dixon and Chuck Swiger) and based on feedback from some open source
developers, and the the Groklaw discussion, including both Pamela Jones'
original posting and the community discussion, we respectfully submit an update
to CDDL for OSI review and approval.

You can find the updated CDDL, redline against MPL1.1, redline against the
previous version of CDDL, updated "why" document, and the previous version of
CDDL at:
	http://www.sun.com/cddl/

I've attached a text version of the updated CDDL.

Here's a summary of the clarifications and changes.

     1.1:  Nit (thanks, Chris)
     3.4:  Fixed typo (thanks, Joerg and Frank)
     6.2:  Removed royalty provision.  Confusing, unnecessary. (thanks to many)
     6.2:  Broadened the penalty to terminate rights from all Contributors and
	  the Initial Developer, not just the Participant (thanks to Groklaw,
	  and Eric, Russ and Simon)
     6.3:  Removed.  Unnecessary after the change to 6.2 (thanks, Simon)
     6.4:  Removed the ambiguous paranthetical "(excluding distributors and
	  resellers)"  (thanks, Chuck and John)
     7:    Added "loss of profits" to the limitation of liability, as a
	  clarification to protect Contributors and other licensees.
     9:    Removed the restriction the begins with "With respect to disputes...
	  in United States" since we do not want to limit the Initial
	  Developer's ability to configure choice-of-law, venue and jurisdiction
	  to Initial Developers in the United States (thanks, Joerg and John)

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this review!

Regards,
Claire