For Approval: MN Open Documentation License 1.0

Michal Nazarewicz mina86 at tlen.pl
Fri Dec 17 15:10:58 UTC 2004

On Thursday 16 of December 2004 21:00, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Now the FSF could sue you for copyright infringement on their licence
> texts... they actually forbid you to take the text and modify it.
>
> Except of course you'd got the permission.

I did of course. BTW. I remember reading (probably while sleeping ;) )
somwehere that they are OK unless you use different preamble.

>>     If  your document  contains nontrivial  examples of  program  code,
>> we
> we? Pluralis Maiestatis? ;)

We, the open source community, but I did change it anyway.

> Now, seriously: what is wrong with using BSD, LGPL or GPL for
> documentation as well?

* BSD - too loose
* LGPL - the language of the license is specific for the libraries which
could lead to ambigious interpretations.
* GPL - it isn't clear whether you can publish a document under GPL and
other license together; and the copyright holder can release only the
opaque version without the transparent (since (s)he does not have to
comply with the license).

I did search for a license for my documentation but they all seemd to lack
something. All things which I'd like the license to have are present in
one of the already approved license but there is no (I didn't find any)
license with all of them.

> Especially when parts of it are auto-
> generated from the code, such as it's the case with GNU lib-
> iberty, this is pretty much a "must".

No, it isn't. The copyright holder can write that (s)he allows the
documentation generated from the source code to be licensed under
different license.

> And the FSF just started the FDL to further restrict what the
> redistributors can do with their manuals, in order to be able
> to further publish their political (the GNU manifesto) and
> "ethical" (must not obstruct) goals - ironically, their use of
> invariant sections and cover texts is against the ethics that
> everything should be free as in GNU, i.e. freely modifiable as
> well.

That's why I'm changing the license.

- --
Best regards,                                          _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenly Enlightened Majesty           o' \,=./ `o
..o | of Computer Science,  Michal "MINA" Nazarewicz    (o o)
ooo +--<mina86 at tlen.pl>--<jid:mina86 at jabber.org>----ooO--(_)--Ooo--