For Approval: CDDL - license stewardship

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Dec 15 17:52:34 UTC 2004

Um, I'm confused.  These seem to be two totally different issues.   I
agree that there would be value in something like the MPL with more
neutral (or template-able) ownership terms.  (Isn't that what the
Common Public License and the OSL purport to be?).   But, it seems
obvious to me that the CDDL has much more going on (e.g., peculiar
patent issues) than just that, so I think it unfair to read Sun's use
of the CDDL as a specific slam against the MPL (or GPL, as some in the
press have made it).

-- Ernie P.
TINA, MLLA (This is not advice, much less legal advice)