For Approval: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Dec 15 05:23:51 UTC 2004

John Cowan writes:
 > My overall judgment:  I strongly urge the OSI to approve this license,
 > and to consider using it as part of a list of recommended licenses in
 > place of the MPL.

[ At which point, Mitchell Baker (the author of the MPL, in case
anybody is just tuning in) had an official cow. ]

Mitchell is obviously correct in saying that the Mozilla license has
withstood the test of time, both in that the Mozilla project has not
felt the need for changes to the license, and in that other parties
have used its philosophy and language in their own licenses.

However, the fact that they have had to create a new license rather
than simply applying the MPL to their own software says that the MPL
is seriously flawed as a standard license.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Freedom means allowing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | people to do things the