pruning "dead" licenses

Adriano Galano adriano at satec.es
Mon Dec 13 15:33:36 UTC 2004

Hello Martin, Robin and *:

Agree with you.
But I think that one more *strict* mechanism have to come from the license's
approval commitee. Maybe is necesary to have more strict "workflow" for
license submission, when some previous "advisory level" that recomends what
license/licenses to choose for the specific project/interest. This advisory
level will recomend to submit the new license to public discussion or not.

> However, I'm not sure that categorizations such as "active"
> and "inactive", or "often/sometimes/rarely" is where I'd go
> (I could be wrong).  I'm still thinking through this because
> I'd like to submit a more formal proposal, but my brain is
> more around a few different areas, such as categorizing:
>
> "Vanity licenses"
> "Single project use licenses"
> "Copyleft and non-copyleft licenses"
> "Corporate and community licenses"

Hummm...with a license "taxonomy" maybe it become more complex the problem.
A single look to http://freshmeat.net/stats/#license tell us the "vitality"
of some licenses.

> [...]
> I welcome ideas, and as I develop this further, I'll see if I
> can propose something a bit more formally.

I believe that the problem is not the license itself...is the approval
procedure. ;-)

> Martin
>
> +==========================================================+
> | Martin Fink                  | Email: martin.fink at hp.com |
> | Vice-President, Linux        | Phone: (970) 898-7076     |
> | Hewlett-Packard Co.          | Fax:   (970) 898-4302     |
> | 3404 East Harmony Road, MS43 | Asst:  Ingrid Busch       |
> | Fort Collins, CO 80528       | Phone: (970) 898-0782     |
> +==========================================================+

Best regards,
-Adriano

--
Adriano M. Galano Díez
Sistemas/Seguridad, Departamento Comercial

MADRID
Avda. Europa, 34 A
28023 Aravaca
Telf.: (+34) 91 708 90 00 / 91 211 03 00
Fax: (+34) 91 708 90 90 / 91 211 03 90