For Approval: Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

ROD DIXON, J.D., LL.M. roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Mon Dec 6 16:48:56 UTC 2004

 The CDDL seems to follow the OSD and is pretty well-written. The one reason
I withold my recommendation for approval is that Article 3 of the OSD , in
my opinion, requires a clearer definition of "modification" than this
license uses. The definition of modification in section 1.9 of the CDDL uses
the word "modification" which renders the meaning tautological; sections
1.3(b) and 3.2 also refer to modification, but do not clarify whether the
legal meaning of derivative work is meant.  As an aside, the CDDL appears to
allow the distribution of an executable under a license that differs from
the CDDL (and the accompanying source code). In doing so, the license
reminds me that the OSB has not been revised to better ensure that a license
like the CDDL cannot be used to wrap the executable in a DMCA technology in
order to fork the source code surreptitiously.

-Rod