Dual licensing with two copyleft licenses

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Thu Dec 2 14:20:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> My understanding, then, is that Bob must choose one or the other license
> offered by Alice. Since both of these licenses require derivative works
> to be licensed identically, Bob's derivative work must have the same
> license as the one he chose to use.

Can't Bob make that decision twice?  Release two packages, one under
license A, one under license B, both of them the same package of the
original work plus his modifications and thus, the same work?

If Bob can do that, what keeps him from optimizing by having one package
with a choose-one-of-two license, like Alice did?  So long as following
the terms of one of the license didn't require a particular modification
that the other license disallowed, I suppose.

 	Brian