Redistribution constraint

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Aug 19 19:14:19 UTC 2004

Ian Lance Taylor scripsit:

> > The principles we want to follow are:
> >
> > 1. we want to provide the software as the result of a consulting activity
> > (we don't sell the software but our work)
> > 2. we want to avoid that the software be sold
> > 3. who wants to make profit with the software must add something and may be
> > paid just for this addition(new functionalities, training, etc.)
>
> Sadly, these principles are not open source (principle 1 is OK, but
> not numbers 2 and 3).

Not only that, but unless you want to get into the business of regulating
the price other people charge (how many lire per line of added code?),
there is nothing to prevent people from making a trivial change and then
charging whatever their customers are willing to pay.  In the long run,
trying to prevent the resale of software by direct legal means is
hopeless, in addition to being a bad idea.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall    jcowan at reutershealth.com
have neither the Ring nor me!"  --Frodo         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan