Redistribution constraint

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Thu Aug 19 12:41:50 UTC 2004

Andrea Chiarelli said on Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:37:07AM +0200,:

 > - Is this redistribution constraint a problem for open source
 >    philosophy?

Sure yes.  Any kind  of restriction on  redistribution is  against the
philosophy of OSS.

 > - Is there an already approved open source license that meets this
 > requirement? (I have found none among the published ones)

No. A license which prohibits  the user from redistributing for profit
_is_ against  the concept of freedom.  It is `Free as  in Freedom; not
free of cost'.

A new license  which imposes such a restriction is  not (likely) to be
approved.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
Slander      -     False