Affero GPL 2(d)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Aug 13 19:10:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Eben Moglen wrote:

> Is this the test for technological neutrality?

Those are relevant arguments in my opinion. Current OSI interpretation
of their own requirement may differ, of course.

> Existing OSI-approved licenses contain requirements prohibiting
> removal of copyright notifications during interactive use, which are
> analytically very closely related to Affero 2(d), and may have
> nothing to do with a derivative's function, etc.

Licenses that require a certain software functionality to be preserved
are not technology neutral, IMO. OSI folks may disagree.

I also note that your proposed requirements are, on a practical level,
much more heavy than a copyright notification because, at the very
least, you essentially require both notification (of download service
availability) and the download service itself.

Alex.